Have you ever wondered why your garage door starts acting up just when you’re running late?
Like any other mechanical system, garage doors have common issues that can arise over time. Being informed about these problems means being prepared.
In this article, we’ll cover the most frequent garage door challenges you might face and what to look out for.
Noisy Garage Door
Is your garage door squeaking, rattling, and grinding? While the immediate assumption might be rust or lack of lubrication, other causes include:
- Worn-out rollers that require replacement
- Misaligned tracks causing the door to wobble
- Loose hardware, such as screws and bolts, vibrating during operation
Door Doesn’t Open or Close Completely
When your garage door doesn’t open or close completely, it’s more than an inconvenience. Possible causes include:
- Sensors Misalignment: Modern garage doors have sensors to prevent closure when there’s an obstruction. Sometimes, they get misaligned.
- Worn-out springs: Springs have a lifespan. With time and usage, they need replacement.
- Track issues: Bent or misaligned tracks can prevent smooth door operation.
Remote Control Issues
Before you sigh and replace your remote’s batteries again, consider these other issues:
- The remote needs reprogramming.
- There could be interference from nearby electronic devices.
- The garage door’s antenna isn’t correctly positioned or damaged.
Door Closes Too Fast
If your garage door slams shut at an unsettling speed, it’s more than just a minor glitch; it’s a major safety risk. Usually, this points to:
- Broken or unbalanced springs.
- Snapped cables that can’t control the door’s descent.
Garage Door Won’t Stay Open
A door that rises only to fall back down immediately often points to:
- Compromised extension springs.
- Misaligned tracks causing the door to slide back down.
Door Off Its Tracks
A garage door off its tracks isn’t just problematic—it’s dangerous. Common reasons are:
- An accident, like hitting the door with your car.
- Poor maintenance, leading to misaligned or dirty tracks.
Increased Energy Bills
While not a direct garage door problem, old or damaged garage doors can lack proper insulation. This can mean your heating system has to work harder during winter, leading to a spike in energy costs.
Addressing the Problem
While some minor issues can be a DIY project for the handy homeowner, others demand professional attention. This is especially true if you suspect problems with the springs or if the door is off its tracks.
Looking for the best garage door solution in Anchorage?
Whether you’re facing one of the above problems or are just considering an upgrade, Door Systems of Alaska is your go-to expert. We cater to homeowners and businesses, ensuring quality service and products every time.
Don’t let garage door issues disrupt your day. Reach out to us today for top-notch service and unbeatable expertise.
Stay informed, stay prepared, and trust only the best for your garage door needs!